PPC mask: indication and notice
If sleep disorders have been diagnosed, the patient may be prescribed a device for continuous positive airway pressure< /a>. This device comes in the form of a mask.
Face mask, nose mask or nasal pillows mask: opinion on the different forms of masks
The CPAP ventilation deviceconsists of of 3 distinct elements: an air flow generator box, connected by a hose, to a mask to be positioned at face level. The mask comes in different shapes, depending on the patient's choice according to their comfort and morphology:
- The face or naso-mouth mask covers both the nose and the mouth. It attaches using straps positioned at the top of the skull on the one hand, at the base of the neck on the other. This form, all the more cumbersome, is recommended when the patient is used to breathing through the mouth. a>
- The nose mask only covers the nose. Its use assumes exclusively nasal breathing. Otherwise, the airflow increases and with it the risk of dry mouth.
- The nose mask consists of a pair of pads that adhere to the inner walls of the nostrils. More discreet, it is suitable for patients who do not tolerate the nasal or facial mask. Be careful, however, the risk of irritation is all the higher.
Assessment : less restrictive than face masks, the nostril or nasal mask, in general opinion, allows to improve compliance to a large extent. Good compliance guarantees the effectiveness of the treatment.
Nosear mask for sleep apnea: detecting the symptoms to remedy the disorder
The nose mask is intended to treat OSAS. Obstructive hypopnea sleep apnea syndrome, this disorder is materialized by interruptions or attenuations of the respiratory flow during nocturnal sleep. Mild, moderate or severe – when IAH (hypopnea apnea index) is greater than 30 – sleep apnea has serious consequences on daily life and life expectancy of the patient. How to detect sleep apnea? The symptoms are numerous, including:
- Fatigue upon waking and daytime sleepiness.
- Difficulty concentrating.
- Cardiovascular accidents due in particular to poor blood oxygenation.
The observation of these symptoms should lead the patient to consult. The doctor may prescribe a medical examination of the type polysomnography, Which leads to a diagnosis on the basis of the AHI. In the event of proven OSAHS, the patient may be advised to use a nasal mask intended to reduce or even eliminate nocturnal breathing disorders and thus improve his daily life and life expectancy. p>
Fixed or self-controlled CPAP nasal mask: the different modes of airflow.
There are different CPAP modes.
- The CPAP nasal mask < strong>at fixed pressure generates a constant air flow, determined beforehand by the doctor.
- The self-piloted continuous positive airway pressure device delivers a pressure automatically adapted according to the frequency of apneas and hypopneas observed during the different phases of sleep.
- The dual level CPAP device generates a lower flow during exhalation. This form of mask improves patient comfort in order to increase the chances of treatment compliance.
Nose mask: effectiveness and other masks
The effectiveness of the CPAP mask has been demonstrated in all modes – fixed pressure, self-piloting or dual level pressure. This effectiveness can be seen on several levels :
Immediate effectiveness: disappearance of breathing difficulties and nocturnal micro-awakenings, reduction of the frequent urge to urinate, reduction of involuntary movements.
Long-term effectiveness: better ability to concentrate, reduced drowsiness, increased alertness, better overall quality of life.
However, it is important to note that the continuous positive airway pressure device is effective only if compliance is sufficient: the patient plays an active role in his OSAS treatment.
Which mask to choose for better compliance?
Patient compliance is particularly related to the level of comfort experienced. In this context, it is important to choose the right CPAP mask. The general opinion is that the nasal pillows are the least bulky and therefore the best tolerated. Composed of small nasal pads, it does not impede vision and minimizes the contact surface between the device and the patient's face. The bulkier nasal mask for sleep apnea nevertheless has the advantage of better stability. Finally, the face mask is a natural choice for the patient who breathes through the mouth.
Worn with the same regularity, nasal mask, nasal mask and oral-nasal mask are also effective.
Nose Mask: Adverse Effects
Despite its effectiveness, the nasal pillow has many adverse effects that may lead to discontinuation of treatment. Are in particular implicated by more than 50% of patients the following side effects:
- Marks on the face when the nasal pillow is not properly fitted.
- An annoying volume for the patient and his spouse.
- Discomfort and impaired movement caused by the tubing that connects the CPAP nasal mask to the continuous positive airway pressure device.
- An unpleasant dry mouth.
- Irritated skin, eyes and nose.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.